Monday, September 12, 2011

The Anemone necklace tutorial

This for the people that enjoy crochet!
Here is the tutorial for the necklace I showed last week:


"Anemone Necklace Tutorial"


What you need:
Skill level: elementary
Time: less than an hour
Yarn and hook: any yarn scraps, a crochet hook (optional)*
Hardware: jump rings, a metal chain
Used terms: chain (ch), single crochet (sc)

Tip*: when choosing the crochet thread/yarn for your project, check the label because it contains information about the kind of thread and suggested hook size. For this project I used thin 100% mercerized and gassed cotton and the label suggested a 1.5 – 2 mm hook size. I used a 1.9 mm hook. Also, for this project I would suggest you use thin yarn and a small hook so the tentacles would acquire a tight, neat and compact appearance.

Step 1:
You start by chaining a total of 16 stitches.

When you make them, single crochet for about 13 stitches. The remaining 3 would be used for attaching this part to the necklace. Next, *Chain 16 and single crochet 15 of them leaving one stitch as a border between the tentacles*. Repeat from* to * until you get the desired number of tentacles (I made 8). This is the lowest and the widest part.


When you come to the end, chain 3 (for the attachment), cut yarn and weave ends.


Step 2: Now you have to make the other two rows.


Look closely at the picture. I have made the consecutive rows smaller. For example the lowest (the one I made first) has 8 tentacles, the middle has 7 and the one coming first has 5 tentacles. I would suggest you cut the number of tentacles as you move higher, so that the cascading rows appear attractive. Also you can use the pattern of making the tentacles as in the first one (16 st) or you may decrease the number in the next rows. I decreased them to 12 and 10 respectively. Remember to leave 3-4 stitches on both sides for attachment.

Step 3:
Here’s what you need next:


Attach the small jump rings to each side of every row.



Then put all three onto the bigger jump ring.


Attach the bigger jump ring to the metal chain and there you go!

Your necklace is ready to see the light of day!

7 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I thought of you this AM when I took a bra from my drawer and found an underwire escaping. I'll have to revisit your post on that!!

Unknown said...

Wow your anemone necklace is so beautiful Maya. Very clever how you've connected it all together. Thanks for the lovely tutorial!

Unknown said...

You're such a clever teacher Maya, very clear pictures and steps, even I should be able to do it with your helping hand ;-) Thanks for the tut!

harmony and rosie said...

You really have been busying yourself making some gorgeous things this summer, love all the necklaces and your romantic blouse is stunning, so pretty!

Kate x

magdamagda said...

so very lovely! I've got everything I need and your tute is so clear that I'm less afraid of crochetting now- I'll let you know if I make one! Thanks!

Mindie Hilton said...

Crazy cool. Love how it curls.
Thanks for sharing at Bacon time.

Anonymous said...

Tutorial in italiano a http://www.cosedilia.com/collana-anemone-di-mare.html#axzz1jbiad21m
Grazie, Maya!