Thursday, April 5, 2012

Cork Embroidery Tutorial


This was my post prepared for Etsy. I hope you enjoy it.

In expectation of the Earth Day and to show awareness for the protection of our beloved Earth, I have prepared a cute, recycling project – consisting of stitching cork discs.

When embroidered, the cork gains an enriched and amazing appearance and the jewelry created with the little corks is extraordinary and truly unique.

So without further ado, find some used wine corks and let us start!

Materials needed:

* cork
* embroidery thread / floss
* embroidery needle
* thimble
* scissors

1. Types of Cork: Let me introduce you to the varieties of cork you may encounter. I have come across 4 types, and only one of these can be used for the project.

As you can see, they are all different. The one most suitable for embroidering is number 3. See how it is nicely defined with the little cell-like structure? That’s the kind you’re looking for.

The outer surface of the cork does not reveal the inside, so cut a thin slice to see if it is the type you need. Next, mark the cork for cutting. In my experience, the best width is 0.2” / 5mm. Thinner slices will break; any thicker, and you will hurt yourself.




2. Cut the slices of cork.


3. Thread a needle and tie a knot. You need a long, thin needle so that the cork stays intact while you work it. Insert the needle for the first stitch. Do not go too near the edge because the cork might break.

4. Make your first stitch. When you stitch, always keep the thread tense with your thumb for a neat job. Stitch close to the stitch you made before, unless you aim at a more “dispersed” look.



5. When I embroider, I most often use a wave pattern because I really like the way it transforms the cork. Stagger the stitches for this look.



{back}

6. When you get to the end, tie a knot and hide it beneath the thread by inserting the needle through the layers at the back.


{front}
7. Cut off excess thread, and you are done. Isn’t it beautiful?

8. For the back, you may leave it as is, cover it by stitching the bare part, or glue a felt piece over it.

I hope you liked it and you got inspired to make some your own.



16 comments:

Lovely Light said...

Very unusual! I love it! Great job.

Unknown said...

Great post, I saw it on Etsy, too! You did an amazing job with these pieces of cork, so very creative! Happy Easter!

Papgena Made It said...

It's fantastic! But I think I don't have enough patiente!!
Hope you and your family have a sweet and happy easter!

Unknown said...

Just came over from Tatertos and Jello and I really love this idea. I'm gonna collect cork rigt now, haha.

Have a Happy Easter!

Marieke from the Netherlands
www.gewoonmarieke.com

Julie said...

I am inviting you to come and be part of my blog hop:
http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/04/safe-cooking-habits-and-tips-show-your.html

Divya said...

Lovely :) :)

Mihaela Nica said...

COMPLIMENTI !
sei molto creativa !!!
un abbraccio ,
Mihaela

Maria said...

What a great idea for a necklace! This is a really creative and cute craft! Great idea!

Susan @ Oh My! Creative said...

What a great idea! Perfect way to recycle cork I also pinned it!

I would love if you would post it and share it with my readers! Join the Community and share any of your creative project!

Susan @ Oh My! Creative

Unknown said...

Interesting how there are different types of cork. Thanks so much for specifying the type needed for this craft, Maya. Very helpful!

Anonymous said...

Hi Maya, great DIY! I think I'm going to move your project to the beginning of the next party so it will get more exposure. all the very best! xoxoxoxo

Marieta said...

Great tutorial
thank you¡¡¡
xx

Cheryl said...

What a fun idea. It looks very effective. Even better for being a recycling project.

Kelly Innes said...

I have pinned this to me 'Cork' Board but please let me know if you want me to remove it.

Cucicucicoo said...

oh maya, i've already written more than once how much i love these pieces and i so much want to make them, but never seem to find the time. i'm so glad to have this extra tutorial! thank you so much and congratulations on the etsy post! how fabulous!! :) lisa

anaalbimoreno said...

Muy original. Gracias por enseñar.