Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Vintage Inspired DIY Lace and Velvet Necklace


I remember the December when I started the Last Minute Gift Series. I made so many beautiful and easy to make projects, at least that is what people tell me and what traffic shows, so I  eagerly wanted to continue the tradition this year too.

I have a lovely project for you to make - a vintage inspired necklace which makes a gorgeous gift for the upcoming holidays. I will give this necklace to my mother for Christmas - she doesn't use a computer so there is no fear she'll see this  before hand.

For the necklace you need a piece of lace / lace ribbon, a rectangle piece of velvet - preferably elastic (you can use jersey instead) and pearls.

1. Cut 5 long strips (length: maker's choice) of the fabric 1.2" / 3 cm in width. Pull at the sides so that it rolls and turns into a tube.

2. Place all together and make the next one 0.8" / 2 cm shorter than the other, so that it gradually becomes shorter / longer.

3. Place as shown on the picture below to see if the tubes fall right.

 


4. Pin them together and sew. Mind they stay in place while you sew. Trim excess when done.

 
5. Sew some pearls onto the tubes. It would also look perfect if you string pearls and add them at the very top of the tubes.
 
 
6. Pin the lace over the tubes and sew that too.

 
 
 


I hope you like this and try it.
 
I am sorry I couldn't capture and show the beauty of the velvet - it is rich purple. But velvet is hard to photograph and to top this we had an absolutely horrid weather today which made taking photos quite challenging. 
 
Some more of the Last Minute Gift Series:
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

Julie's Lifestyle said...

I love your necklace you made for your mom! Thanks for sharing how to make one!

Divya N said...

I love the contrast in the necklace - rich and soft and rustic all at the same time. It is a brilliant idea to use jersey and let the fabric curl by itself, At first look I thought that you had painstakingly sew each tube shut, turned and used them; just thinking about it gave me a little shudder. But this is such a smart way to do it, so thumbs up :)

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Julie! You're welcome!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Divya! Unfortunately I will have to sew some stitches up and down the tubes since not all behaved accordingly, but mostly they rolled up fine so it wouldn't be so hard adding a few stitches here and there.