Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Oya Inspired Necklace

 
 


Starting from yesterday the weather suddenly changed. It has been raining constantly ever since, fluttering  away all my fantasies of the Indian summer lingering for many days ahead and us going on trips and having picnics. And let me tell you, I wasn't prepared for the gloomy, sad scenery greeting me every time I look through the window.

But bad weather has never kept me away from my work and I have the sunshine right here on my work table.

That sunshine is my oya necklace. Not the first one to be made, but the first to be finished. I didn't stick to using the traditional oya needle or method to make it and I don't think I ever will. I used embroidery floss for the flowers instead of my beloved cotton yarn to make them smaller in size and I think they turned out nicely. The necklace foundation was first envisioned to be a lariat, a nice and skinny thing to have wrapped around the neck, but I couldn't find the right size of yarn / thread so I changed the design and turned it into a necklace.  

If you missed my oya inspiration and story you can read it here.



7 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Really very pretty, lovely colors. Everything here is pretty drab too, nothing blooming because of the incessant heat. Hard enough just keeping all the plants alive. Which just reminds me, I forgot to water them today. Oops!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you on the positive comment Tammy and on all the atttention you gave my blog today. I appreciate it! I wanted to change the usual color palette I often stick to and the change suits me nicely.

Mrs. R said...

Hi Maya, What a beautiful necklace. Your talent never ceases to amaze me! It will be a nice addition to your Winter wardrobe when a little color is so refreshing in the drab days of snow and rain. Thanks for sharing with us at #SimplifyWednesdays

xo,
Carla a.k.a Mrs. R @ SimplifyLifeWithMrsR.com

Alhana said...

Beautiful necklace! Green shades are always my favourite, they constantly remind me of nature. I didn't know about oya, what an intersting craft and story!
Sad to hear summer is already over for you. Here we are enduring 35-40 C daily which are unusual for this time of the year. I wish we could swap places so you could bathe in the sun while I enjoy all that rain through the window. ;-)

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Carla. So nice to have you here. Yes, it brings sunshine to the bleak winter days!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Alhana! I too love green and enjoy recreating nature with my yarn.

meximoments said...

This is so pretty. I just love the colors!