Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Spring Wreath DIY

 
 
 
 
 
 
The first day of spring. I think the word itself is full with blooms and nightingale songs and caressing rays of the bashful sun. All this is supported by the world outside my window and to celebrate the advent of its majesty I made this adorable spring wreath. And you can make it too, because I am adding links to patterns for flowers, leaves, butterflies and beads you can use for the wreath.
 
To make this lovely wreath I used an embroidery hoop, a collection of flowers and leaves, yarn to cover the hoop (you can use ribbon - it's much easier), a sewing needle and thread.
 
 
 
 
If you choose to crochet around the hoop, and note that this could be awkward, take a chunky yarn so the crochet would be easier, faster and plushier.
 
To make the flowers, use these patterns:
 
 
 
 
 
Beads:
 
Butterflies:
 
Leaves:
 

 
 
Work on the arrangement of flowers around the hoop, pin and sew. I didn't want to use any glue for this step, because sometimes glue makes some projects  look sloppy, and I find it much professional and better when flowers are sewn onto a project like this particular one.
 
When done, add a ribbon or a thread of yarn in the center and it is ready for hanging.
 
This makes an adorable nursery décor too, so it is a great gift for a new mom!
 

 


12 comments:

admirartem said...

So beautiful wreath, Maya, perfect for the first day of spring.
Thanks a lot for sharing the pattern links! You gave me a good idea: I think I will crochet your wreath for a new mum friend of mine.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Lilah! So happy you can use it to make a gift!

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

Urgh! You've seen plenty of sloppy things on my blog, haven't you? I'm no good in sewing things onto anything - that's why I use my hot glue gun... Hope you do not mind, dear Maya...
And as I've still got some old hoops from cross stitching left (the srews won't pull the hoops tight anymore), I might just make a spring loop in between!
Have a lovely day,
Marjan

Maya Kuzman said...

Actually I haven't Marjan. Your work looks neat and perfect. If there are indeed flaws, well it seems only you can see them :)
I find embroidery hoops just perfect for a wreath and I am planning an Easter one with the smallest hoop I can find.


Kim said...

Spring is singing the prettiest song with the creation of your beautiful wreath, Maya. Oh how sweet this pretty is. I was reading your comment above....I cannot wait to see your Easter wreath. I can only imagine how whimsical and magical it will be.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you dearest Kim! I am always inspired to make floral arrangements -whether it is a necklace or a wreath :)
I just hope the Easter wreath will look as I have imagined it!

Alhana said...

So beautiful! I thought it was more difficult but your instructions sound quite easy. :-)

myrica said...

So beautiful, and I can smell the spring is coming soon, I hope.
Have a nice day

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Alhana! All the patterns are breezy to make. The sewing requires patience and it can be quite tedious.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Myrica! Happy spring!

Divya N said...

When it comes to yarn projects I prefer to sew too as glue makes the pieces so untidy for my taste. I love the adorable birdhouse prop you have in the picture it is so cute

Maya Kuzman said...

Oh, the birdhouse is adorable. It was a clock but I took the clockwork parts to transform it into something (wouldn' reveal what exactly) interesting... I also decided to not leave it all white but paint the cones and branches and maybe some flowers... but we'll see....